Sunday, September 5, 2010

Lamp Makeovers and Tutorial (and mystery revealed)

So what was this lovely pink blob that you all thought was a tu-tu?
A Tu-tu lampshade. Remember this ribbon lampshade my mom and I did for Addi's room after she was born? Well since we moved I changed up Addi's room and it now has a black and white and pink theme so the lamp just didn't go anymore and needed another makeover. I loved this tulle lampshade my mom did and wanted to do something similar. So while mom was here to see the baby she helped me out again.
So simple, all she did was cut stripsof pink tulle and tied them around the lampshade with knot on the top. Then cut off all the ends to the length you want.
Now that I had a hip new lampshade I needed to spruce up the white and blue flower base with a little spray paint.
Of course my little side kicks had to help out. How would I ever get this done if I didn't have my paint shaker.
Finished project. While I was taking pictures, I thought it needed something else. I think I am going to add a pink vinyl princess crown to the base. What do you think?

I did a second lamp for my daughters room (there are no lights in our townhouse except bathrooms and kitchen, so I need lamps).
I picked this lamp up at goodwill for $5. I liked how bigit was and the shape of the shade.
I was going to use black and white ribbon to make a lamp like this one,but after one spool of ribbon didn't even cover 1/4 of the shade I decided that would be to expensive so I used some materials I had on hand instead.
I took a piece of white muslin as tall as the lampshade. I gathered each side of the material by running it through my machine on straight stitch with stitch length set at 5 and tension set at 7. By setting the tension higher it automatically gathered the material. I then hot glued the material to the lampshade.
To hide where I attached the white material I made a black ruffle using knot from a black t-shirt and the same settings on my sewing machine. I then twisted the ruffle as I glued it over the raw edge of the muslin. I sprayed the base of this lamp as well.
Now I have 2 new matching lamps for my daughters room. And thanks to the 5 of you who left me comments. I used a random generated and Crystal you won my mystery gift that I am making using the ribbon I didn't use on the lamp and the leftover tulle. Good thing you have a girl because pink tulle is kind of girly.

Linking up here.

2 comments:

Christin@Pregnant with power tools said...

I wish I had a girl - I'd make one of these in a heartbeat... but I don't think my boys would go for it :)

Terrell said...

Oh this is just darling!! You're so creative! I'm so excited to be your newest follower of your delightful blog! I would love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor! I would also like to invite you to link your creations up at my weekly Fabulous Friday Finds party..every Friday! Hope to see you there!
Hugs,
~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~