Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Easter Bunny Egg Hat

I know I promised more of the Dora party details, but we are a little Dora out over here so we will let birthday party jitters die down a little and turn our gears to Easter with this cute little egg hat.
This little hat is my own pattern and came as a result of me stressing over another project. I use crocheting as a stress reliever. And today it was much needed. So I decided to take a break from the day and finish up another Easter project I had been working on over the weekend. It was an aurigumi bunny and was not turning out how I wanted and I didn't like the pattern much and couldn't find a pattern that I liked any better so I thought hey maybe I could make my own pattern. Well in short a large project is not where I should of started my pattern making career. Trying to create my own pattern with an attention needing 9 month old getting tangled in my yarn was not the stress relief I wanted so I switch to a small easy project that I could practice my pattern making skills and finish in the amount of time it took my baby to finish his lunch. And that is how the Easter bunny egg hat was born.
As I was taking pictures the egg was a little wobbly and I said to myself I wish I had some cute egg holders. So I made my own out of an empty egg carton that I just so happened to have on hand since I was using the last egg to try my little hat on. I just cut 2 wells from the egg carton glued the bottoms together and painted adding a little ribbon in the middle.

Now back to the egg hat (lucky you get a 2 for in today's post). This really took me minutes to create and it is really simple. So here is the pattern for all of you to try out. I used a size G hook and regular worst weight yarn.

Base
with white ch 2.
Rnd 1: Work 6 sc in first chain.
Rnd 2: Work 2 sc in each sc around – 12 sc.
Rnd 3: *2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc; repeat from * around – 18 sc.
Rnd 4: *2 sc in next sc, sc in each of next 2 sc; repeat from * around – 24 sc.
Rnd 5-8: Sc in each sc around.

Ears (make 2)
with pink ch 5
sc in 2nd at from hook and in each of the next 3 st
fasten off switch to white yarn.
sc up one side in next 3 st
2 dc, ch, tc in next stitch (you will now be at the top of your ear and will start going down the other side of your pink strip)
tc, ch, 2 dc in next st
sc in next 3 st
fasten off attach ears to hat base

easy enough right? I hope that makes sense if not feel free to ask me questions.
dc=double crochet
tc=triple crochet


Oh wait I said I didn't have an egg holder. Like I said I was using my last egg which was not hard boiled and my curios daughter started to play with it when I wasn't looking and cracked it so I headed to my basement to see if I had a plastic egg for her to play with and found this cute little holder that my mom sent me and thought I should include it so I don't get a comment from my mother that I do indeed have an egg holder.

So go on relieve a little stress and whip up a few little egg hats to put on your Easter eggs.

Linky parties

14 comments:

Katie said...

That is so cute and itty bitty! I don't crochet but it seems like it would be challenging to make something so small.

Michelle said...

Super cute, now I need to learn how to crochet. I can knit, but haven't learned the crocheting part yet. I wonder if you could make those big enough for an infant, they are super cute hats.

Boden said...

Ahhh! This is BIZARRELY cute! Love it! I'd love for you to visit my blog sometime, www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

That hat is way toooo cute! Visiting from Show and Tell at Blue Cricket.
~Kimberlee
{$15 Amazon GC Giveaway} 

Swedie said...

Cute idea! The egg could use it as a Halloween costume, too!

www.make-homemade-gifts.com

Alexis said...

Egg-cellent! Love it

Jessica said...

This is really cute! I want to make one.. In your instructions for the ears you say,

"2 dc, ch, tc in next stitch (you will now be at the top of your ear and will start going down the other side of your pink strip)
tc, ch, 2 dc in next st"

.. what does the "CH" stand for? TC means triple crochet, right? (does that mean 1 tc stitch? All I can think of for "ch" is chain..

I'd love to try this cute little hat! :)

Jessica Sorensen said...

Yes ch means chain. A triple crochet is where you wrap the yarn around hook twice go through stitch now you have 3 yarns on hook. yarn over pull through 2 then yarn over pull through 2 and then yarn over and pull through the last 2.

Launi said...

So dang cute!! I need to make these! They just make me laugh. :}

peawink said...

these are absolutely precious .. i can't wait to whip some up ... maybe for next year :) unless i made melon-colored bunnies because that's the only worsted weight i have in the house :(

Erin said...

So cute! and clever.

inge said...

This is so cute, thanks fot the tutorial and pattern!

XX Inge

Anonymous said...

Hi

i tried out your pattern last easter and it worked perfectly.

Thinking about to post the result in my new blog, but well now is not easter.

Please check out my very new blog: http://lanathewoolydog.wordpress.com/

Dari said...

Very cute! Thank you for sharing. I am going to make up a bunch of these little babies.